Re: Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQWW160 Remote receiver rule
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:34:42 -0600
DXCC is a joke for many.  At one time it was fun to chase DX, listen for hours
to work a new one and perhaps compare with locals in a friendly competition.
With Internet spotting and the ability to operate from anywhere in the country
using a remote site, it has long since become meaningless on 160m.  I would
have appreciated the dedication if K7TJR, for example, worked the EP6T station
from his own station in Oregon and thought "so what" if I heard that WB6XXX had
worked him using RHR's W8JI site.

However, I disagree regarding contests.  To say that you should not worry about
someone making 50 more contacts in a contest is to say that the competition
(the very essence of a contest) is unimportant and that it is also a joke.

Regarding working the band out...that is true for USA contacts.  It's
absolutely not true for working the important stuff (Europe) during the
available openings.

It will be soon enough that we will be having the conversation about not only
remote operation but robotic QSO making software.  In the meantime, if the only
way someone can get on at all (in a rest home, for example) is to operate a
remote site, I'm all for it.  The impact on contest results would be minimal,
if there even is an impact.

At the point in time when the only way one could possibly compete would be to
have multiple sites and an Internet connection, the thrill is gone for me.

Is is really and truly a RADIO CONTEST if you cannot possibly make a "radio"
QSO without using the Internet?  I know some people who I actually think
believe what we are doing in these reflectors is radio...  (I already know all
the justifications comparing the WWW communications system to a six foot
headphone cable located at your own station.). What do you think?

Enjoy it while you can.

73...Stan, K5GO