Re: Topband: Length of Beverages

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Length of Beverages
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 13:54:08 -0400
There is really nothing new to explain. It has been established since the mid 1920's that the Beverage is a slow wave antenna, ie: it has a velocity factor, and at an electrical 50% VF it will reverse direction.

It doesnt take much effort or math to compute the electrical length shortening of a Slinky and I believe I stated that mine was around 60% on this reflector in the late 90's and I was supplying Slinkys to others in the US and international. This was also picked up by ON4UN who published the Slinky Beverage in one of the earlier revisions of his book with incomplete data to easily reproduce.

Using a 1590 BC station directly to the rear I determined the proper termination resistance to be 1200 Ohms for the final version. This was around 1987-88 and years before I even knew about any reflectors and discussions were only on 160 SSB just above the DX window when the band was dead. K1ZM gets the credit for planting the idea during one of those chats and it didnt take me long to work out the details. Those 1987-88 experiments took many forms and the number of Slinkys used and running 100-300'. Other lengths required different terminations and transformers. After a certain person started in with belittling comments I stopped posting and just shared later data via direct emails or phone calls.

Doing a Google on "KM1H Slinky Beverage" will give loads of hits and also refreshed my memory...disregard the 18 month useful life...that was after they were no longer cadmium plated.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>