Re: Topband: Length of Beverages

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Length of Beverages
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 16:32:56 -0500
On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM, <donovanf@starpower.net> wrote:

> Longer Beverages provide narrower beamwidth, which reduces QRM or QRN that
> would be received through the main lobe of a shorter Beverage

On my bucket list is a system for remotely changing the lengths of my two
2-wire Beverages between 580 and ~800 feet long.

A very effective technique for improving the front-to-back performance of
> Beverages is to use the DX Engineering NCC-1 variable phase controller with
> a pair of Beverages or a two wire bidirectional Beverage. The NCC-1
> develops a deep steerable null off the back of the Beverage pair.

Thanks for the reminder. I was going to try this with my modified MFJ-1025
noise canceller, which I haven't used since I moved to this QTH.

I also wanted to input unwanted signals from a separate Beverage into the
MFJ-1025, to deepen the nulls from the selected Beverage. I wonder if
anyone has ever done that?

> Arrays of short (20-25 foot) verticals provide significantly less high
> angle response than Beverages which can be a significant advantage
> especially with storm induced static crashes.

That's on my bucket list, too. :-)

> You can never have too many antennas...

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html