Re: Topband: 1000 feet 5/8" hardline or 600ohm True Ladder line.

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 1000 feet 5/8" hardline or 600ohm True Ladder line.
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 19:15:09 -0400
I buy my quad shield Commscope RG-6 directly from a CATV distributor in bulk so I know it is outdoor rated as well as having published specs. The stuff from box stores, RatShak, Fleabay, hamfests, etc, can be a real crapshoot especially when the reel and cable is unmarked.

Extensive tests when I worked as an engineer and later manager in a broadband CATV based data/voice/video network showed that quad shielded RG-6 and RG-11 made a substantial improvement over same company dual shield when it came to signal ingress in harsh enviroments.

Cheap cable from even known brands, had a thinner foil and as little as 65% braid.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>