Re: Topband: 1000 feet 5/8" hardline or 600ohm True Ladder line.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 1000 feet 5/8" hardline or 600ohm True Ladder line.
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 18:48:51 -0700
On 4/26/2014 6:17 PM, Mike Waters wrote:
The loss of RG-6 is about the same as RG-213.

Only in an advertising brochure for the RG-6. On 160M, loss is all due to copper, and there's LOT more copper in RG213 than in any RG6 cables I've seen. Remember -- the question was about 1,000 ft.

As to the suggestion of 75 ohm CATV coax -- it should work fine if anything fairly large diameter is available at low cost. In the US, I've heard that partial spools are often thrown in the trash by CATV companies who don't want to deal with those shorter lengths. That may or may not be true in Norway, where LA7THA lives. And even if he could find this hard line, he would likely need to make several splices, and the connectors could be expensive.

1,000 ft of the best RG8 - RG213 cables I know of will burn a bit less than 2 dB on topband, which is a LOT more than I would like to throw away on 160M. N6RK's suggestion is about 1.7 dB better than that.

73, Jim K9YC