Topband: 1000 feet 5/8" hardline or 600ohm True Ladder line.

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 1000 feet 5/8" hardline or 600ohm True Ladder line.
From: Rune Øye <runeegil@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 10:34:26 +0000

Hello All,

I have moved to new qth and start to plan my 160/80 meter
vertical antenna. I was reading in ON4UN LOW Band DXing book about coax and
loss. John claims he is using 5/8” hardline coax for his TX antenna and suggests
taking care when chosen your coax. My problem is, from TX antenna to shack the
distance will be close to 1000 feet. 1000 feet 5/8” hardline have a price
of XXXXX dollars. For that price I can build a small shack in the woods. The
problem is I am not the owner of the land, only user of the land
owned from a friendly neighbor farmer.

Alternative is to use e.g. 600 ohm parallel feeder from
http://www.trueladderline.com/
then use 12:1 balun on each end. I have not found any source yet of 5/8”
Hardline in Europe for an ok price and my best solution is ladder line, even
then the cost will
be 5-700 dollars.

My ladder line has to be strung about 3 meter over ground
(moose), how will this affect when line is close to my vertical with elevated
radials.

73 Rune LA7THA