Re: Topband: Yikes! Heavy snow, freezing fog and 23 degrees F in Raleigh

To: "Eddy Swynar" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: Yikes! Heavy snow, freezing fog and 23 degrees F in Raleigh, NC
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 17:50:32 -0500
You can always prepare for your own safety Eddy; cut down trees that imperil buildings and vehicles, have a generator already pretested and in place, chain saw ready and tested in case you need to cut your way to a gas station, etc

For the 2008 storm we were without power 12-13 days I believe and my neighbor and I both had 4x4 pickups with plows and we cut and pushed a path for 2.5 miles off the hill to the main road. Others heard us coming and helped with a lot of the cutting but just 2 of us lived uphill and had the proper vehicles. It was a 26 mile RT to the nearest gas station that had power and we were the last part of town to get power restored due to the location and the way the utility had their work mapped out.

Preparing antennas is tricky when depending on trees and wire to cooperate. All 4 of my towers survived and so did wire antennas using #12 copperweld. Light duty WD11A type Beverages werent so lucky as were many elevated radials. But living in sight of the ocean directly in line with a typical Nor'easter (we get them year'round) about 20-25 miles away that I can see from the 100' level of a tower means this is not an occassional occurance in Southern NH and residents are better prepared. Losing power 3-4 times a year is the norm from storms or drunks hitting poles which happened 6 days ago at 130AM at 10F outside. The genny was on in 10 minutes after I opened my eyes and didnt see the LED clock!

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eddy Swynar" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>