Topband: Low band noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Low band noise
From: "Jim in Waco WB5OXQ" <wb5oxq_1@grandecom.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 20:02:58 -0600
I live in Waco Texas and there are no known windmils or inverters nearby that I
know of.  I have a lowband noise that is pretty broadband starting around 1mhz
on the am broadcast band and running almost non stop until around 2.5mhz or so.
 It is a buzzing noise on am and a hetrodyne on ssb or cw.  Once in a while I
hear what sounds like ascii  for a couple of seconds and returning to a solid
carrier modulated with  a rough ac note around 200hz.  I took my E1 receiver on
battery power around the house and could not pinpoint the problem so I turned
the main breaker off killing the whole whuse but the buzzing was still there.
So I took the portable receiver in my truck and drove around the neighborhood
and the noise is still there everywhere I go.  Bear in mind I cannot hear much
on 160 or the am band because the signal strength is at least S9 or more.  The
noise did not go away driving around the block so I drove further to the edge
of town to a rural area and the noise is sti
 ll there.  I did this a couple of nights ago and have not tried this in the
daytime.  The weather has turned icy and cold so I will not try anymore until
this next weekend when the temp goes bsack to the 70s.  I keep trying to find a
good topband antenna but with this noise I will never hear much.  The noise is
down a lot by 80 meters and not heard any further up the band.
Anyone else hear this?  WB5OXQ