Re: Topband: Low band noise

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Low band noise
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 18:50:27 -0400
Bruce, I can't answer your wind turbine noise question on TB but while we are on the subject and a bit off topic....in the 70's a 250KW wind turbine with metal blades was installed on the island of Culebra midway between Puerto Rico and St. Thomas. As the blades were rotating they would shock modulate the TV signal reception of WAPA-TV and WKAQ on channels 2 and 4 causing what appeared to be hum bars rolling across the screen. I ironically on a calm day the interference would disappear. It was also determined that aircraft radar from the naval station Roosevelt Roads using the El Yunque Mtn installation and USN installation on Crown Mountain in St. often complained of refracted blips caused by the leading edge of the blades...at least that is what I was told by hams that worked their. I think today and for that reason non metallic blades made from composite resins are required for the larger systems.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ