Re: Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, '160' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle
From: Carl Braun <Carl.Braun@lairdtech.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 17:26:08 +0000
Tom and group

The SWR is 2.4:1 at 1822

I have an old Heathkit tuner that has a pair of air variables that I may
temporarily yank to experiment with gamma vs. omega matching.  I've got a wing
wang capacitance meter that would tell me the values once I get something to
resonate.

The 160pf Johnson variable is 3/4 meshed so I don't see additional C being
needed in series.  I think I will have to add a parallel C to get it down to 50
ohms and x=0.  If I can get the tower to 50/x=0 then I'll substitute a vac
variable in for the Johnson.  The Johnson SHOULD work as a parallel cap as it's
good for 7KV according to the Johnson literature.  See pic.

Also, I've been basing a lot of my values (tap height and gamma spacing) on
ON4UNs charts.  But I found some English amateur who did a study on
gamma/Omega/Beta matching and found that ON4UNs calculations are up to 2X out
of whack.  I also found an old article on shunt feeding towers from Ham Radio
magazine that gave tap height, gamma spacing and C curves. His calculations
were off quite a bit as compared to ON4UNs.  I attributed this to computer
modeling vs. none back in the day and would tend to think the modeling results
are more accurate.  See attached article.  I see a good 20-40 degrees
difference between the old school article and ON4UNs calculations.

I don't do any modeling though I'd like to try EZNEC or? one of these days to
see what my various antennas really look like.

So, i'm assuming you're suggesting that I drop the gamma arm down to the 67'
level and see what the impedance looks like?  If so, I'm guessing the series C
required to tune would increase in value?

Please advise

Thanks

Carl AG6X