Re: Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle

To: "Carl Braun" <Carl.Braun@lairdtech.com>, "'160'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 11:58:01 -0500
the vertical section was still suppressed and the top 29' was resonating. With this in mind I decided to run a shunt wire from the top to see where the antenna resonates. Here's what I found..>>>>

I was afraid the tower was messing up the L. This is what happens when they are are nearly resonant.

You can't measure tower resonance with a drop wire. The drop wire is a stub or shorted transmission line in parallel with the common mode impedance presented by the drop wire and tower combination. It is just a mess of stuff going on.

<<<
The MFJ read 380 ohms at 1825 and the X is way off the scale. I inserted an EF Johnson 10-160pf air variable capacitor at the base.in series.and was able to tune the antenna to 60 ohms and the X=22. If I played with the cap there was a real sharp drop in reactance showing X=12. The air variable was about ¾ meshed.>>>

Reducing the lenth (tap point height) of the drop wire is a better way to get impedance right. Or, better still, use a multiple wire drop to make the drop diameter look larger. That will reduce Q, require more C, and should reduce impedance.

You are so close at 60 ohms I would not worry. Adjust the cap for lowest SWR. What is the SWR??