Re: Topband: Shunt or parallel Matching Coil Questions

To: "Jim GM" <jim.gmforum@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt or parallel Matching Coil Questions
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 14:29:29 -0400
The thing works, I mean the shunt match works.

It historically has been a good minimum component system.

what would be a good Q for just the coil?  300, 600, 900

The required component Q depends on the application, how much current flows through (or voltage across) the device and the impedance of the device and how much loss or heating can be tolerated.

Since single components in parallel with the feedpoint are at low impedance and usually have modest current, you probably would never see a signal difference between something with a component Q of 50 and something with a component Q of 1000. The limiting consideration is almost always heat.

Operating Q, what is the desired value?  Whats your formula for that?

We know the real part of impedance across the inductor is 50 ohms, but I have no idea what the inductor reactance is. All questions could be answered knowing the required operating reactance or inductance. We know there is only about 275 volts across the reactance at 1500 watts.

73 Tom
Topband Reflector