Re: Topband: 160 meter activity

To: Bob Kupps <n6bk@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 meter activity
From: Eugene Popov /RA0FF/ <ra0ff@mail.ru>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 04:16:19 +0400
 To use a preamplifier or not (in a signal estimation) it seems to me it is
equivalent as to speak: to use the antenna for RX or not, to use radio or to
listen shout by a throat from mountain...
I exaggerate. But our radio and its functions are created to help the operators.
I sometimes switch off a preamplifier on TOP, sometimes I switch on the
amplifier on my Beverages.
If on GP I do not hear DX, during too time on BV with the amplifier I will be
copy signa S9 that what signal S I should give to this station?
More often my official report more conditional if I hear station more S6.

P.S. In ours QTH 160m still sleeps.
Yesterday on 80m was audible V31MA (S3-4)  which were heard by my signal
unfortunately.

73! de Eugene RA0FF
http://dx.bgtelecom.ru
http://www.qsl.net/ra0ff/

Воскресенье, 25 августа 2013, 16:44 -07:00 от Bob Kupps <n6bk@yahoo.com>:
>Well I applaud your making the effort at giving an "honest" report. It seems
>to me that 599 is reported far too casually these days and I certainly attempt
>to give "honest" reports even in a (non contest) pile up. Although R reports
>are fairly easy - I give 3 if I'm struggling, 4 if I have to pay attention and
>5 if it's easy. But S reports, especially on the low bands where we are often
>using preamps, attenuators or both make an objective report a bit tougher.
>
>The other night I was chatting with my pal W6YA on 20. My 100 watts to a 5/5
>stack always gets a better report on his K3 than his 1500W to a 4 el gets on
>my K3 until he finally said that he always uses his preamp on the high bands
>because the K3 S meter is factory calibrated with the preamp on, and he like I
>strive to give meaningful reports.
>
>Anyway, I would be interested in how other ops (who care) try to give
>meaningful reports - objective vs subjective. Also my compliments to N4ZR and
>the RBN guys who are providing a great service to the ham DX community in this
>regard.
>
>73 Bob HS0ZIA

Topband Reflector