Topband: 160 meter activity.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 160 meter activity.
From: Robert Briggs <vk3zl@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 16:53:19 +1000
Comments noted regarding signal reports on 160 meters..I often give dx stations 599 reports, even plus 10 occasionally..The report is the reading indicated on the S meter on my receiver...S meters are just a relative indication of signal strength for the average ham and I doubt anyone is really going to bother much about the fine technicality's of day to day DX signal reports..

I have had years of experience listening to Topband noise and signals...On the whole average signals on a day to day basis with the band conducting will generally be above the qrn noise..If one is not watching an S meter many signals are perfect Q5 readability...If one had no meter to monitor signal strength then I guess that signal would be called 599...However one way or the other it isn't a point to get all up tight about...To go a bit further contester's and dxpedition's mostly always give a 599 report regardless for quick convenience...Rarely hear anyone complaining about that...

Bob..VK3ZL..

Topband Reflector