Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "Merv Schweigert" <k9fd@flex.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux
From: "Robin" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 00:45:16 -0700
wont waste bandwidth recapping in any detail

but they are a C H E A P crystal controlled "MOPA" with a 6-8 meter long whip. the ID runs on a cycle like Merv says. The beacons have something like 36 D cells for power - ballast and cheap batteries

Pics on the VP6DX site of the two beacons we salvaged that had washed ashore
there

they very definitely do not have any "smarts - they don't even have a receiver of any kind. there are some more expensive models that do answer only when interrogated, but I believe those are mostly VHF models.

they are frustrating and annoying, but the only useful solution is to make yourself a band map each night so you do not waste time on a known weak signal, and otherwise totally ignore them.

Remember, if you hear a lot of fish beacons, the band IS open. If you are bored, watch the UTC when they fade out (as long as its not YOUR sunrise), and you can make a very gross guess of their possible longitude

Robin, WA6CDR

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>