Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux

To: <Gary@ka1j.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 10:35:42 -0400
I didn't realize 160 was a shared band with fishing bouys.
Rotten QRM...

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this either falls under international agreements of frequency use in international waters, or domestic FCC regulations inside USA waters.

Of course many fish boats in USA waters break USA law, even while in USA waters. It is common for me to hear fish boats from the Gulf coast, even while in port, using Ham bands.

This is because the equipment they purchase, like Icom rigs, operates in Ham bands. The radio buoys also are programmable to Ham bands.

I am strong enough to cause problems for many of them when they are in my general area, off the east coast or in the gulf or southern ports, because I have about 5-6 kW ERP and it is one hop, but transmitting just to bother them is a non-productive way to spend an evening or morning. The real solution is to get the manufacturers and dealers selling the stuff to warn them away from Ham bands.

I doubt, with the sprit of smaller government and deregulation, any government help is available. The exception might be if they start using these things as a obvious tool in running drugs.

73 Tom
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK