Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux
From: "Joshua M. Arritt" <jarritt@vt.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 09:44:22 -0400

ITU Region 3 purportedly (according to the world spectrum chart in the office) allows radiolocation, radionavigation, and fixed and mobile commercial services on a secondary basis to amateur communication.

Regions 1 and 2 have amateur service listed as exclusive from at least 1810 - 1850 kc, with similar secondary services as Rgn 3 listed above 1850.

Meanwhile, other spectrum charts (one from Icom included here) show the entire band as amateur exclusive.

So it appears as though there is freq. sharing in at least some part of Topband somewhere on Earth that might even be legal.

Would anyone else be surprised if the callsigns listed in this morning's "Fish Report" from Gary/KA1J were all contained within Region 3?

  73,
 - Josh / KF4YLM