Re: Topband: LOTW Participation

To: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: LOTW Participation
From: W2PM <w2pm@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:25:58 -0500
Some of the dxpeditions are allowing u to request a qsl on line with a PayPal
fee as an option of sending thru the mail. Its been very reasonable and
efficient to me when the option is there. I am also still getting lots of buro
qsls that were already confirmed on LOTW.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 17, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca> wrote:

> On 2012-02-17, at 11:01 AM, N1BUG wrote:
>
>> "So by the same token, why would anyone deny the thrill of a LoTW
>> confirmation to a ham who may not be able to chase confirmations by more
>> traditional means? It costs nothing to upload to LoTW..."
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> And therein lies the rub...!
>
> Imagine if you were mounting a DX-Pedition to some far-flung place, & your
> sponsors came up just short of all of your expenses---the balance would
> doubtlessly have to be covered by your own personal out-of-pocket monies...IF
> you QSL'ed by LotW.
>
> On the other hand, the old-fashioned method of hard-copy QSL'ing presented an
> ideal venue to garner additional funds---and how many of us haven't
> appreciatively included an extra "green stamp", or two, in the envelope
> containing our own QSL card before posting it in the mail, as a final thanks
> for helping us "...get a new one"...?
>
> What avenue exists for the DX-pedition to secure extra $$$ that might
> encourage LotW QSL'ing...? The honour system...? While many of us remain,
> indeed, "honourable", Hams are, in the final analysis, mere humans---and
> human beings being what they are, I suspect that the majority would simply
> "...take the QSL and run."
>
> There are advantages to anything new, AND dis-advantages...! The benefits of
> on-line electronic logging & QSL'ing could actually have a NEGATIVE effect
> upon the continuation of the very activity that it supposedly plays a role in
> benefitting.
>
> ~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK