Re: Topband: rx loop

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: rx loop
From: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:23:37 -0400
On 10/11/2011 06:33 AM, Jose Orellana wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> One question....
>
> The typical (20ft) loop to receive (160m)  is omnidirectional or need a rotor
> ????
>
>   I have seen many have fixed and others have a rotor.

The main reason a receive loop is quieter than a vertical
is that it blocks out noise from other directions.

It does this by being directional.

An unterminated loop has two narrow nulls off the sides,
in other words it is not very directional and only a little
lower noise than a typical transmit antenna.

Then there are terminated loops, like the K9AY or the flag
antenna. These only "see" the signal from one direction,
with good attenuation in all the other directions.  By
reducing signal from more directions, they are lower noise
than unterminated loops or omnidirectional antennas.

If you are going to build a receive loop and are willing
to get a rotator (or a set of two loops and relays), you
might as well go for the terminated loop variant.

A rotatable flag would work, as would a switchable set
of K9AY loops.

Which leads to my own question on this topic:

Is it possible to build large flag antennas that are at
90 degree angles, like in the K9AY array?

I know that switchable direction flag antennas are being
built, if I can just build two of them I'll have a
ground-independent antenna much like the K9AY array (but
with about 10dB more signal).

--
All rights reversed.
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK