Re: Topband: PL 259 for RG6

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: PL 259 for RG6
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 00:37:24 -0500
2011/10/10 John K9UWA <john@johnjeanantiqueradio.com>

> As per the VK1OD website chart RG-6 has less loss than anything else shown.
> Matches RG-213 at 1.8 Mhz ... It seems to me that RG-6 is pretty good coax
> for our purposes.

Indeed! There are millions of miles of aluminum shield CCS (copper-clad
steel center conductor) RG-6 and millions of F connectors installed at VHF
frequencies on CATV systems all over the USA. And this is a testament to the
low loss and reliability of both that type of coax and F connectors.

Having said that, I would like to find a really, REALLY good quality
**chassis mount** F-connector. I am not happy with most of the ones I've
bought. I don't care if it's expensive, I just want quality. I suppose it's
too much to ask for a mil-spec F-connector. :-)

I am speaking of the type of F-connector on the photos of my Beverage
antenna control boxes at
http://www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html#Beverage_Antenna_Transformers(scroll
down).

Any ideas? The best idea I've seen so far is to use an N or BNC connector on
the enclosure, and then an adapter to receive the F connector on the RG-6.

73 Mike
www.w0btu.com
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK