Re: Topband: PL 259 for RG6

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: PL 259 for RG6
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 13:40:51 -0700
On 10/7/2011 9:28 PM, Bob Kupps wrote:
> Would crimp-on PL259 plugs sized for RG59 cable be suitable or is there a
> better way to go?

There's RG6, and there's RG6, and there's RG6. In other words, there are
dozens of very different cables called RG6. RG6 is not a spec, it is a
VERY generic description.  First, you should be using ONLY coax with a
heavy copper braid shield for transmitting on the HF and MF bands. That
cable is almost certain to be oversized for RG59 reducers, so you will
likely need somewhat non-standard termination if you're going to
solder.  I'm a solder guy, so what I do is strip enough of the outer
jacket to fit into the reducer, put it together and solder it as if it
were RG59, and then do more serious taping and waterproofing than I
otherwise might.

If you are going to crimp, it is critical that both the connector and
the crimp tool match the exact cable type that you are using.  I don't
know of any crimp connectors designed to fit that kind of coax. There
may be some, but like I said, I'm a solder guy. :)

73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK