Topband: Possible solutions to misuse of web connected receivers for boo

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Possible solutions to misuse of web connected receivers for boosting DXCC scores/QSO totals
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 09:19:04 +0800
G'day

Thanks to all who wrote to me directly and via the reflector in support of
my previous email about making the distinction between web connected
receivers and the real benefits of SDR technology for low-band weak signal
operation

If the application software that was available for Software Defined Radio
use had an audio delay feature that could be turned on by the owner, then
clearly this would be a huge help in enabling radio amateurs to connect
receivers to the internet in a manner so it would be hard to use them for
making unethical DXCC contacts. I guess the trick would be to convince the
software developers who write the applications, in particular PowerSDR, to
include this feature in their software.

If the president of the ARRL (and perhaps presidents of the RSGB and other
powerful societies such as the Japan Amateur Radio League) publicly wrote to
the main SDR software application development bodies/companies and pleaded
for this feature to be included to help with potential DXCC misuse, then
this might be the spur they need.

That being said, the issue is clearly an ethical one, in which technology is
being misused. Whatever technology has been developed by humans, the less
ethically inclined have always misused it. Clear and clever rules are
usually the only way to (largely) stop this.

Looks to me like the ARRL simply need to review their DXCC rules and bring
them up to date with the internet and what it enables radio amateurs to do.

This is definitely my last word on this subject. ;-) Take care and see you
on 160 sometime.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK