Re: Topband: 160m vertical with "top loading"

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m vertical with "top loading"
From: k3bu@optimum.net
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:05:24 +0000 (GMT)
On the subject of resonant loaded radiator - element please see my article at

http://www.k3bu.us/loadingcoils.htm

it took me some 40 years to realize wasaaap with loaded elements - current
distribution and efficiency.
We had a duel on the subject between K3BU, W9UCW, W5DXP in one corner and W8JI
and W7EL in another. W8JI still insists he is right.
Measurements and experience confirm "our" argument and as result of the
exchange, W7EL updated the EZNEC to allow real life coil with turns to be
modeled, similar to linear hair pin loading.

It boils down to distribution of the current along the standing wave element
and efficiency is roughly proportional the area under the current curve.
Realizing that, it makes it plain to visualize the efficiency and performance
of the loaded antenna element. The trick is to make the high current portion as
long (area as large) as possible. 3/8 wave loaded elements, are the best -
large area and higher base impedance, close to 50 ohms.

Linear loading is less efficient than coil, base loading worst, top loading is
the best, loading coil about 2/3 up is a good compromise especially for mobile
antennas.

ON4UN had it right in earlier edition of his book, then W8JI convinced" him to
change to his "truth". Many found out with their own lying eyes what truly
works better.

Happy Easter Egg to all!

Yuri  K3BU.us
www.MVmanor.com  home of Glen Spey RadioFest

> <BR>> These days I use a 95 ft top loaded vertical and yes it "seems"
> to be "slightly" better then the 90 ft base loaded however
> this is just a feeling and I have no measurements to back it
> up with. But as long as my brain thinks it is better it is
> fine for me.
>
> Bottom line: I will never use linear loading again !!
>
> 73 Jim SM2EKM
> On 2011-04-21 04:42, Lars Harlin wrote:
> > Hi Rag!
> >
> > Have you thought about the possibility to use linear loading?
> That could be
> > a good alternative when you cant put the loading on top...
> >
> > 73 de Lars, SM3BDZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK