Re: Topband: Staples

To: GALE STEWARD <k3nd@yahoo.com>, Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Staples
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 10:38:31 -0400
GALE STEWARD wrote:
> Steve is spot on! I've made hundreds (if not thousands) if these things. You
> can make up a little cutting/bending jig and crank them out easily and
> quickly.
>
> 73, Stew K3ND

A good source of "free" wire are discarded sections of CATV cable in the
company dumpster...where you can use a pocket knife peel off the
messenger cable which can be prepared as needed for the size and shape
of the staples you need.

I also found that large galvanized nails, sold by the pound from the
hardware store, work great in harder soil and even frozen soil by
looping the radial wire around the nail.  I use insulated #12 solid but
it may be a problem with bare wire due to dissimilar metals (steel and
copper) in a moist soil environment creating semi conductors all over
your radial field.  But the large nail allows a deeper seating into the
soil than staples in cases where the underlying soil is harder as is the
case in this part of the world.

73

Herb, KV4FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK