Topband: deterioration of RG-6

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: deterioration of RG-6
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 08:18:00 -0400
I feed my 160m receiving antenna with about 300 feet of RG-6, which
supplies power to an amplifier at the antenna.  Recently, I started
seeing an high-resistance short across the coax (~30-50 ohms).  I took a
junction apart and discovered evidence of current flowing across the
double-female, as wellas some water in the connector.  I changed it out,
and also changed both connectors on the cable, and in the process
discovered that the braid and the first foil (it is quad-shield) appear
to be somewhat corroded (there is a powdery grey residue that comes
out).  I reconnected the junction, and within a few days both the short
and the moisture were back.  In checking out the problem, I have cut
back a couple of feet on the cable, and the grey residue is still evident.

Is water ingress a known problem with RG-6?  Any particular brand known
to be better?  If I'm going to replace the whole feedline I might as
well do what I can.

--
73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com