Topband: IC746PRO ...K3

To: "topband reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: IC746PRO ...K3
From: "Ryszard Tymkiewicz" <rtym@ippt.gov.pl>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:11:28 +0200
Hello All,
In a reference to Dennis question about Radios....
I was using IC746PRO and IC756PROII for last two years. Receivers in
both radios are almost the same , of course there is an advantage of a dual
watch
in 756PROII and much better screen. IC746PRO I was using mainly in the second
QTH (45km from a main one). I was really satisfied with both radios but as many
of us I'd like to try another DX tool ... and a toy...so I decided to buy K3.
I got K3 a week ago and for a few days I was testing IC756PROII and K3 with
the same antennas and in the same moment. Tests were made on higher bands with
yagi and on 160m with a Beverage and K9AY.
Of course I was trying with mainly very weak signals when I was not even able
copy all transmissions... My conclusions are as follows :

- if there was not QRM and I had only very weak signal the reception on both
radios
  was almost the same. Maybe using K3 the signal was with more "pleasant" sound
  and with very narrow band (50Hz) less ringing...anyway it was not big
difference.

- with strong signals near weak station situation was different. I had problems
with weak
   signal using IC756PROII because of its worse dynamic range ...and I had
quite clear
   reception on K3.

- ...and of course "diversity"... it was the main reason I bought K3 and the
effect of it is
   really terrific ! In both receivers of K3 I was using 400 Hz 8 pole filters.

So, in my opinion if you are not contester and you have not possibilities to
have 2 receiving
antennas the radio like IC746PRO ..or IC756PROII is good solution...and its
cheaper than
K3 with 2 receivers...but if you are able to have at least two receiving
antennas the adventage
of K3 is considerable....

                       73 GL
                        Rys
                       SP5EWY

__________ Informacja programu ESET Smart Security, wersja bazy sygnatur
wirusow 5003 (20100406) __________

Wiadomosc zostala sprawdzona przez program ESET Smart Security.

http://www.eset.pl lub http://www.eset.com

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK