Re: Topband: insulated vs:bare radial wires

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: insulated vs:bare radial wires
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 14:41:03 -0800
There is a study on skywave signals on verticals that is on my web
site.  I listened to actual received signals off the air and A/B'ed
two antennas.  In one sense, this is not as precise as you couldn't
detect a 1 dB advantage.  OTOH, these are the real signals you want
to receive, at the actual angle and of the actual polarization.
You could do a "scientific" study with a helicopter, but then you
still have make a judgment as to what arrival angle you want to
assume, not to mention random polarization.

Broadcasters worry a lot about skywave in a negative sense, so
there may be studies of skywave vs ground wave.  Skywave is bad
for them because it causes fading of the ground wave.  Successful
skywave that causes propagation to great distances has no monetary value
for advertising purposes.  I have never seen any evidence that the
loudest vertical for ground wave purposes is not also the loudest
vertical for sky wave purposes.  If there were a way to selectively
favor ground wave, the broadcasters would have found it by now.

Rick N6RK