Re: Topband: K4M on Topband - Final

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K4M on Topband - Final
From: "G4GED Dave" <radiodave.g4ged@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:04:54 -0000
Ilmo OH2BO wrote>>>

> K4M:
> Operation on Topband was an exceptionally great success. All the important
> things did fit together.
> Operators did know how to make Qs to cover most part of Europe on our
> evening hours.
> In the log there are 54 QSOs from OH-land

Sorry Ilmo I have to disagree because you're only focusing on one part of
Europe.

Yes, much of Northern and Central Europe did have good TB openings into K4M
during their evening time and  many QSOs took place, so they did a good job
for you!

Western Europe does not enjoy those local evening openings over the N. Pole
and on any very rare occasions that we do, the EU Wall is impossible to
break through.

Our only possibilities are very short openings at our local Sunrise time and
this
was never taken into consideration by K4M and therefore from our point of
view a dismal failure on LF :-(

Overall my posting was an attempt to remind DXpeditioners to such places
that Europe is a very large mass and propagation to/from far south, east and
west sides completely different. So please don't consider that working 54
OHs is EU done-and-dusted until you have QSOs from countries at all EU
extremities in the Log and very likely at vastly different times of the day!

Same goes for North American of course and I think we all understand the
frustration experienced on the West Coast with the FT5.  Some explantion of
the possible reasons for their tactics has been offered very concisly by a
couple of other posters on this subject.

I'm leaving this subject there guys. I think we've given it a good thrashing
and have expressed our differing points of view ;-)

73 and lets look forward to better luck with the forthcoming DXpeds
Dave G4GED