Re: Topband: K4M on TopBand

To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K4M on TopBand
From: Gavin Taylor GM0GAV <gavin@hfdx.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 19:18:02 +0000
Bill Tippett wrote:
> OK1RD wrote:
>
>   > Note: I tested again spread of K4M signal on the Topband and
> allow myself to
> advice again. It is definitely deadwood to build RX antennas ( Beverages or
> so ) the way for reception from north direction ( over mg. oval ). All the
> signals came from 40 deg, Beverage or 30 deg. or 8Circle during evening
> opening and 330 deg. during very short window in the morning here. NOTHING
> came through over 0 deg. at all. I called K4M and worked them immediately on
> to my both calls 1RD and 7XX to cut out any luck. All two way communication
> went via bent path around magnetic oval. This info would save hard labour
> with building Beverage to 0 deg. direction to somebody.
>
>           I strongly disagree.  With very low solar flux (~70) and low
> geomagnetic activity (A&lt;10), I often find my 0 degree Beverage is
> best for areas directly behind Magnetic North (e.g. Zone 18).  We've
> now had ~7 consecutive weeks with the A-index (blue line below) never
> going over 10 and solar flux hovering around 70:
>
> http://www.solen.info/solar/
>
> Here are some bearings from my QTH to northern areas:
>
> Magnetic North - 353 degrees (i.e. -7 degrees magnetic declination)
> UA0CA, RZ0CWA club, etc - 341 degrees
> UA0SC - 357 degrees
> UA0BA - 2 degrees
> RZ0AF, UA0ANW, etc. - 5 degrees
> R1FJM (FJL) - 8 degrees
> UA9YAB - 9 degrees
> JW5NM (SK) - 13 degrees
> UA9MA - 15 degrees
>
> I've worked all of these stations (excluding UA0BA who is working on
> a better RX antenna) when my 0 degree Beverage was the best and often
> only RX antenna that would copy the signals.
>
>           RZ0AF has now made WAS on 160 and UA0SC worked over 40
> states in his first month on the band.  I believe most of these QSOs
> were directly over the North Pole in the very unusual low flux and
> low geomagnetic conditions we've had the past 2 seasons.  I agree
> there is often skewing in disturbed geomagnetic conditions (A>10 or
> K>3), but that has not been the case the past 2 years.  These are
> indeed unusual times when Zone 18 can be worked almost daily from
> NA.  Enjoy these conditions while they last because in a few years
> Zone 18 from NA will become extremely rare again.
>
>                                           73,  Bill  W4ZV

I also have to disagree with Jarda's observations. When I have worked
K4M around 06Z on both 80 & 160, the signals have always been from the
direct path (356 deg).
I have 600ft beverages at 310deg and 030deg,  single switched K9AY loop
at 0 / 180 degrees. The K9AY has been best on both occasions, same with
NL7Z earlier in the week.

I didn't expect that when I put up the K9AY loop as both these beverages
are very quiet. The K9AY is near my house and has a higher noise floor,
it was only added to cover south as I can't get a beverage in that
direction. Just as well I made it switchable!

73 Gavin
GM0GAV