Re: Topband: K4M on TopBand

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K4M on TopBand
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 08:55:20 -0400
OK1RD wrote:

  > Note: I tested again spread of K4M signal on the Topband and
allow myself to
advice again. It is definitely deadwood to build RX antennas ( Beverages or
so ) the way for reception from north direction ( over mg. oval ). All the
signals came from 40 deg, Beverage or 30 deg. or 8Circle during evening
opening and 330 deg. during very short window in the morning here. NOTHING
came through over 0 deg. at all. I called K4M and worked them immediately on
to my both calls 1RD and 7XX to cut out any luck. All two way communication
went via bent path around magnetic oval. This info would save hard labour
with building Beverage to 0 deg. direction to somebody.

          I strongly disagree.  With very low solar flux (~70) and low
geomagnetic activity (A&lt;10), I often find my 0 degree Beverage is
best for areas directly behind Magnetic North (e.g. Zone 18).  We've
now had ~7 consecutive weeks with the A-index (blue line below) never
going over 10 and solar flux hovering around 70:

http://www.solen.info/solar/

Here are some bearings from my QTH to northern areas:

Magnetic North - 353 degrees (i.e. -7 degrees magnetic declination)
UA0CA, RZ0CWA club, etc - 341 degrees
UA0SC - 357 degrees
UA0BA - 2 degrees
RZ0AF, UA0ANW, etc. - 5 degrees
R1FJM (FJL) - 8 degrees
UA9YAB - 9 degrees
JW5NM (SK) - 13 degrees
UA9MA - 15 degrees

I've worked all of these stations (excluding UA0BA who is working on
a better RX antenna) when my 0 degree Beverage was the best and often
only RX antenna that would copy the signals.

          RZ0AF has now made WAS on 160 and UA0SC worked over 40
states in his first month on the band.  I believe most of these QSOs
were directly over the North Pole in the very unusual low flux and
low geomagnetic conditions we've had the past 2 seasons.  I agree
there is often skewing in disturbed geomagnetic conditions (A>10 or
K>3), but that has not been the case the past 2 years.  These are
indeed unusual times when Zone 18 can be worked almost daily from
NA.  Enjoy these conditions while they last because in a few years
Zone 18 from NA will become extremely rare again.

                                          73,  Bill  W4ZV