Re: Topband: QSB surfing

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: QSB surfing
From: "Dave Sharred" <g3nkc@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:29:34 -0000
 me as K4VFZ and no matter how many times I send my call I get back "K4VFZ R
 R 599 TU QRZ"  I have tried QRS and QRQ but when a station has it in his
 mind that I am K4VFZ rather than KV4FZ  he has made up his mind, don't
confuse him with the facts, so its on to the next station.  What do I do
about this?  Maybe send KV KV KV4 KV4 but at times it doesn't make a dent in
changing the stations perception that he has
 the call correctly.  BTW there is no station licensed as K4VFZ or he would
have 160 meter DXCC by now without even going on TB."

That's gotta be inexperienced ops at  160 Herb; Everyone knows your FB call
!

I think some folks have a mental block with certain calls; and even a
subconscious  "dyslexia" thing - some people will copy my call ok, but say
G3NCK instead of G3NKC for instance ; on fone; this seems to happen even
with foreign amateurs where English is not their native tongue !

A Club I belong to has the FB call of G3WAS; which always works well on
phone. But on CW - everyone wants to send GW3WAS - how do you explain that
??? !!!  So much so, that we preferred to use one of our own calls in FD's,
rather than the club call !

73

Dave
G3NKC (& MD4K)