Re: Topband: Conditions last night

To: "Topband@contesting.com" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Conditions last night
From: Joe Wilkowski <k8fc@k8fc.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:56:58 -0700
Jim Brown

 >Same problem on most of the west coast....
 >....even if we had, it's pretty tough to get through the wall of
...east coast stations......

Can't agree more.  I live in the Sangre DeCristo mountains of So
Colorado and operated this contest for 31 hours.  I have the antennas to
hear Europe but nothing was heard the entire weekend with the exception
of ON4UN who was mobbed by the east coast.  I'd venture to say that very
few stations west of Chicago made it into his log. (purely conjecture on
my part).

I think the combined Kp index Friday night was 5 after a lot of 0's
previously.  The condx were horrible Friday  and only one JA station
made it into the log on Saturday morning.  Saturday evening was pretty
much more of the same until about 04 or 05 Z at which time it quieted
right down here.  Never the less, no Europeans were heard here.

It is very frustrating to tune up the band looking for new stations and
hear the east coast stations putting the European calls in their logs
one after another like they were locals.  Ah, the pleasures of living
out west!

Lastly, I would like to thank the ARRL contest division (an east coast
enterprise) for starting the contest at 2200 Z in order to let the folks
on the right coast get that dx into their logs two hours sooner while we
enjoyed getting our sun tans out west.  And, oh by the way, the folks
got to go to bed on Sunday shortly after sunrise in the east.  Cool.......

Joe K8FC