Topband: Boring report (mostly Boring)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Boring report (mostly Boring)
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:10:23 -0800
Well - the contester in me sure had fun over the weekend - making a personal
best score in the ARRL 160.  However, it was done with no European QSOs at
all.  I can just imagine how my score would have looked like if I had some
extra multipliers in it.

However, the band did recover last night - slightly - and ES1QD had a good
signal and I put him plus RA4LW in the log.  Both stations had some really
rapid QSB on them and they danced in my head as I was listening in stereo
with the K3's diversity mode.  One ear had the beverage and the other was
the TX antenna (2 element vertical parasitic beam pointing north).

This AM - I checked to see if there was any opening over the pole in the
morning.  I heard nothing - except some pretty loud QRN - it sounded like
summer here.  However, G3ROO was listening with his Spectran display and
after some coordination on the topband chat page - we determined that he was
seeing my signal in the waterfall display.  I wasn't ever strong enough to
be copied - but it's a start.

I did work E51QQQ who as holding court around 1821.7.

The DXer N6TR will be back on the band tonight and tomorrow morning to
see what happens next.

73 Tree N6TR
Boring, OR

PS: If you haven't heard about this - you might check out the situation
with 4K9W - http://4k9w.oe4vie.com/4k9w_english.html