Re: Topband: Power

To: Peter Voelpel <df3kv@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: Topband: Power
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 09:01:42 -1000

> If the "every body else" stations run legal power the illegal power from the
> "big guns" in that case is 1,5MW?
> The big differences in signal strength are generally caused by location and
> antennas, not by power

Peter is right about this, and if we do a little bit of pondering about
how much RF those law breakers might actually be generating, we'll find
that they are not likely to have even 10 dB higher signal strength than
if they were running legal power, all other things being equal.  There
may be a few who actually use three phase mains power for their
amplifiers, but the vast majority have only 240 VAC single phase power.
Two hundred ampere service drops are not uncommon these days, yet the
largest current capacity plugs and outlets that are commonly available
(for electric stoves and clothes dryers) are 50 amp rated. Doing the
math shows that will not get you 10 dB above 1500 watts...

DE N6KB