Re: Topband: Power

To: "Topband@contesting.com" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Power
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 08:42:45 -0700
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 15:30:14 +0200, Peter Voelpel wrote:

>The big differences in signal strength are generally caused by location and
>antennas, not by power

And by propagation. Doing the arithmetic -- the difference between 1.5kW and
5kW is 5 dB. Going to 10kW is another 3 dB.

As to location -- I'm up 2,000 ft, with a 5 mile downslope to the Pacific,
but with a ridge that extends nearly 600 ft above me to the northeast. I do
very well anywhere in the Pacific on any band (first earth bounce is sea
water), but it takes great band conditions for me to work EU (first earth
bounce is land, AND the ridge is in the way). On 80 and 40, I can often do
as well to EU and AF on long path as short path.

BTW -- I've received several private emails saying that my view of illegal
power on 160 is naive.

73,

Jim K9YC