Re: Topband: Lightning protectors

To: "Rick Stealey" <rstealey@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Lightning protectors
From: "Harold Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:01:44 -0500
I have a couple VHF protectors, and see them on ebay much more often than
the HF protectors.  Is there any reason I should not be able to take a VHF
protector and put in an .01 cap and use it on HF.  I mean.... the lightning
doesn't know or care what the label on the protector says, does it?  (there
is no such thing as a vhf or an hv gas tube, is there?)
I've never seen a construction article on "build your own lightning
arrestor,"  And I wonder what's the big deal?  I'd like to take an aluminum
box, put a bunch of SO239 connectors on it, some caps, and some gas tubes,
and integrate it all together.  The heck with this $65 per lightning
arrestor stuff.  Anyone have any knowledge on this subject?

Rick  K2XT

Rick and all:

I have not taken a VHF/UHF Polyphaser apart. I would imagine that the series
capacitance would have a much smaller value than the HF models.

If you would construct your own version in an aluminum box and
multi-connectors, capacitors and Gas tubes. I believe that you are asking
for problems. I would think that the change in the impedance, Xc and Xl
would present a real problem.

To Roger Johnson's comment about the series capacitor:   The series
capacitance serves only to keep the conduction voltage of the gas-discharge
tube from reaching the equipment. If it had only the capacitors, with a
lightning discharge the series capacitor would vaporize and your equipment
would also be toast. I will try and measure the conduction voltage of the
Gas tube later today.

I have 80ft of Rohn 45G with a 5el Telrex 20M546 at 80ft, 3el on 15 at 90 ft
and 3el on 10 at 100ft. It is the highest structure for several miles.
I have everything protected with Polyphaser equipment, installed with an
extensive ground system as they recommend. They have a very good hand
book on lightning protection.

It blows my mind that so many people have thousands of dollars invested in
their equipment and are not willing to put a few hundred dollars to
help minimize damage from lightning. There is nothing that will give 100%
protection. You can only reduce the effects from an Atomic Bomb to a
Firecracker.
If you disconnect your equipment, the lightning will still get into your
house and do damage. If you disconnest all cables at the tower and roll up
all cables
far away from the tower then you perhaps will be okay

Most of the lightning protection sold won't help very much IE: B**TZ-B*G and
etc. The only ones that I know personally that do work are Polyphaser and
ICE (International Communications Engineers, LTD).

73 Price W0RI