Re: Topband: Lightning protectors

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Lightning protectors
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:26:24 -0400
I have several lightning protectors from Industrial Communications
Engineering and need to install them in my coax now that I've
relocated back to CT. I had replaced the original connectors with N
connectors when that was all I used years ago. As I recall, they were
made in part of of a gas tube and a toroid choke. There may be other
components but I don't recall them. (I will open them to replace the
connectors and let you know what I find).

I remember ICE telling me that the choke was to drain accumulating
electrons from the antenna to ground making the antenna less of a
target for lightning strikes. They were quite direct in saying their
protectors would work under most severe conditions and was willing to
give their products a go.

I had all of my control lines and coaxs' protected by ICE devices and
being in Illinois at the time, was subjected to many instances of
lightning. My neighbor was also a ham and our antennas were less than
100' apart. My tower was 120' to the top and his was I figure about
40' tall. His FT1000 was ruined by a nearby lightning strike and my
corsair, 220 and 2M rigs were unaffected and were connected during
the same storm.

Gary
KA1J

No affiliation with ICE other than paying full price for all their
products.