Re: Topband: Lightning protectors

To: "'Harold Smith'" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>, "'Rick Stealey'" <rstealey@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Lightning protectors
From: "James Wolf" <jbwolf@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:50:46 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:topband-bounces@contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Harold Smith
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2008 1:02 PM
To: Rick Stealey; topband@contesting.com

I have a couple VHF protectors, and see them on ebay much more often than
the HF protectors.  Is there any reason I should not be able to take a VHF
protector and put in an .01 cap and use it on HF.  I mean.... the lightning
doesn't know or care what the label on the protector says, does it?  (there
is no such thing as a vhf or an hv gas tube, is there?)
I've never seen a construction article on "build your own lightning
arrestor,"  And I wonder what's the big deal?  I'd like to take an aluminum
box, put a bunch of SO239 connectors on it, some caps, and some gas tubes,
and integrate it all together.  The heck with this $65 per lightning
arrestor stuff.  Anyone have any knowledge on this subject?

Rick  K2XT

_______

Rick,

If the protector has a coil in it, that could be a problem as it may become
very lossy at lower frequencies.

Jim, KR9U