Re: Topband: TX5C

To: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: TX5C
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:01:44 -0700 (PDT)
Herbert Schoenbohm wrote:

> .  The TX5 op, so far, has not been as strong on TB here as VP6 and they
> were plagued this morning with QRN.
>> 73. . . Dave
>> W0FLS
>

> I can not agree with Dave on the TX5C TB signal strength nor on their

VP6DX was incredibly strong here, more commensurate with
the distance to Clipperton.  I must have been strong there
too, as I had no trouble working them through the pile.
TX5C has been merely adequate, more commensurate with the distance to Ducie.

Even considering VP6DX's vertical on the beach and N-S path,
it still seemed like the propagation was way above average.
I will note that TX5C's vertical is 200 ft from the beach.
Based on previous experiments I have read about, that is starting
to get too far away to get the "magic" of the salt water.

Curiously with TX5C, the easiest band to work them on was 80
(phone and CW, 1 call), with 160 being a close second (a few calls).
OTOH, I still don't have them on 40 and 20 phone, where
they are also not as strong as VP6DX.  Other bands took HOURS of
calling.

Rick N6RK