Re: Topband: TX5C

To: "David Raymond" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>, <danilo.brelih@siol.net>, "TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: TX5C
From: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:04:14 -0400
.  The TX5 op, so far, has not been as strong on TB here as VP6 and they
were plagued this morning with QRN.
> 73. . . Dave
> W0FLS

I can not agree with Dave on the TX5C TB signal strength nor on their
ability to RX.  VP6DX was always booming whereas TX5C was readible but not
strong.  For some reason VP6DX was awesome on TB day after day and heard
very very well.  I called VP6DX a couple of times and worked him. However,
TX5C took over 4 hours of continuos calling and when he finally came back to
KU4FZ, K4VFZ, and everything but my correct call......seems to indicate some
strong QRN issues at that end.   The distance from my qth is  twice as far
to VP6DX and consider the fact that TX5C had a similar setup, i.e. salt
water lagoon, vertical with radials etc. same trans Pacific path
direction...there has to be some other reasonable explanation.  Even the
posts on VP6DX begged the question "what are they using from Ducie to put
out such a super signal on TB.?"

If this was not such a perplexing issue I would have just chaulked this up
to conditions....but why not inquire?

73

Herb Scheonbohm, KV4FZ
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands