Re: Topband: Moon and the Ionosphere : YO3FFF

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>, Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@ieee.org>
Subject: Re: Topband: Moon and the Ionosphere : YO3FFF
From: cris blak <cyo3fff@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Tom,
Actually I'm looking for the specific tool, not so much a
general idea.

OK. Sorry for the long "theoretical" explanation from the previous e-mail. You
can try Radio SkyPipe. This is written for radioastronomy and it have a
freeware version. Is a strip chart for the back end of the radiotelescope and
accept inputs from the soundblaster and ADC as MAX187 or MAX186(commercial
version). I play with it and is OK. It doesn't contain filters so...for 1Hz
filter you can use an external DSP or another PC. I like very much the small
filtering program written by JE3HHT called "DSP Filter". Also a good tool is
the Spectrum Lab by DL4YHF. With it you can do anything you want from the
soundblaster. It have a scripting language you can play with. Or you can play
with an RF spectrum analyzer which can log the traces. IMO, if you have a
linear receiver is better to play on audio.

I would like to know because I have been thinking a long
time about comparing the signal level on three antennas,
dipole at 300ft, a dipole at 130 feet, and a vertical.

You can use three receivers and a MAX186 ADC together with RadioSkyPipe and a
1Hz filter for each. On Windows XP one can use several soundblasters on the
same platform!
You'll get the detected signal from each receiver than insert it to the
soundblaster input, get it filtered by 1Hz from the output of the soundblaster
than inserted into ADC MAX186 and than on parallel port back to PC on
RadioSkyPipe. There will be a delay depending on the power of the PC but if
this will be the case with all three signals than never mind.

I thought about an attended high power beacon on 1999kHz
with Internet reporting system, but perhaps it would work to
use a receiver and record the signal levels from distant
transmitters.

You can use other beacons or AM BC stations but you cannot control theme to be
sure if what you'll record is due to propagation of the transmitter. One way to
go is than one should monitor that transmitter on its ground wave than
correlate your record with this.

73 de YO3FFF
Cristi