Re: Topband: 1.810 BCB interference

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 1.810 BCB interference
From: ws6x@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 22:36:41 +0000
At 04:19 AM 2007-01-03, Steve Flood wrote:
>Throughout the winter so far, I've detected a carrier on 1.810 in the
>mornings before sunrise.  The past two mornings, I could hear some
>modulation - some sports talk - but could not pick up the station i.d.
>other than I think it begins with 15 or 16 - so say
>somewhere between 1500 and 1690.     At first, I thought it might be
>our local strong 1290 station beating with the strong 520 MSO airport
>beacon (INE), but I could definitely hear sports talk instead of 1290's
>Coast-to-Coast programming.
>
>Any other observations in the northwest?
>Steve, KK7UV

The carrier is just audible here at 8:50 am local time near San Diego, just
above my abysmally high S7 noise floor (in the 250 Hz filter).  It was much
stronger on Saturday night during the Stew, making copy of stations very near
1810 difficult.  However, even then I couldn't detect any modulation on it.

73, Terry N6RY

=====
Our local experience here with BCI on that exact frequency might provide some
insight. We have an enormous BC spur which obliterates 1810 +/- 5 kHz. The
audio on the signal sounds like several stations mixed together, but
the audio from one -- ironically, a sports talk radio station --  is
predominant.

One of our local hams, and former BC engineer, Vic - K2VCO, spent a long time
trying to track down the offender. When he discovered a strong BC second
harmonic at 3360 kHz. he was able to solve the puzzle. It turns out to be a
mixing by-product from two AM stations sharing a TX site, as follows:

XMTR A  broadcasts on 1680 kHz; XMTR B on 1550. Doing the math: 1680 x 2 =
3360; 3360 - 1550 = 1810. The 1680 second harmonic (3360) is copyable for about
a 5 mile radius from the TX site.  I am located approx 20 miles from the TX
site and copy the spur at 20 over during prime evening hours. It is weak, but
copyable about 100 miles SE from the site.

Unfortunately, even after numerous communications with the engineers in charge,
there has been no resolution of the problem. So we Fresno area topband
masochists seriously dislike it when a much-needed entity decides to park on
1808 - 1812.  :(

Good luck with your sleuthing process.

Jim - WS6X