Re: Topband: remote rx ant/rx link

To: Michael_Sapp_WA3TTS@compuserve.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: remote rx ant/rx link
From: "john battin" <jbattin@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 16:22:20 -0600

>From: Michael Sapp <Michael_Sapp_WA3TTS@compuserve.com>
>To: "INTERNET:topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
>Subject: Re: Topband: remote rx ant/rx link
>Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 12:14:05 -0500
>
> >How would you best set up a remote topband listening station? I want to
>move
> >my K9AY away from buildings and QRN. We own a piece of land "by the end
>of
> >the road" and I am thinking of setting up an extra RX antenna there as it
> >would be more quiet and in general is a better location.

If you put the RX front-end at the remote and the back-end at the house, the
big issue will be dynamic range, especially with a crowded band like 160.
Since the filtering will be at the back-end, the communication link will
have to be 200khz wide with 100db+ dynamic range.  You may be better off to
put the reciever at the remote, bring back audio, and control the radio with
a data link that  could be as slow as 19200. You  can do all that with
multi-conductor telephone type cable.
John K9DX