Re: Topband: Building a practical vertical from Al tubing

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Building a practical vertical from Al tubing
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 20:11:44 +0000
I prefer metallic guys.  If breaking them up with "egg" insulators is no
problem, I would recommend "high tensile" agricultural fencing.  In our area
it is available an any farmer's supply, at low cost.  It is about a #12 or
#14 galvanised hardened steel srand of wire with similar characteristics as
one strand used to make e.h.s. tower guying cable.  Just tightly wrap the
ends 7 or 8 turns or more at each termination point and it should last for
ever.  The stuff is springy but manageable.

Never, ever use cheap 6-strand "TV antenna guy wire."  That stuff must have
been designed to sell new TV antennas.  It literally rots on the spot.  I
put up a TV pushup mast vertical back in the 70's using it, and the guy
wires completely rusted away in less than two years.  That antenna would
probably still be up if I had used good solid stand galvanised steel.

Don k4kyv

like it.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/