Re: Topband: Self Spotting and Icebergs

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Self Spotting and Icebergs
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:03:08 -0500
Bob wrote:
> Self spotting is an interesting topic, but maybe the tip of
 > an iceberg. I do receive a number of QSL's from both listeners
 > and from 160M operators for QSO's I simply have not had, not
 > called or heard.

Interesting. Possibly it's not always a case of those stations
trying to falsely claim a QSO? I had a distressing thing happen last
season...

I was in a pile calling A45XR, not altogether successfully. At one
point he had got part of my call but we couldn't quite make a QSO of
it. Then some "helpful" person, pobably in EU, called and worked him
using my callsign!? I found an email address for A45XR and sent him
a note explaining that it was not me. I hope this was just an
isolated incident, but it does make one wonder. I heard both sides
of the exchange and it clearly was no mistake or accident!

73,
Paul