Topband: Self Spotting and Icebergs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Self Spotting and Icebergs
From: "Bob Beebe" <gu4yox@cwgsy.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:21:33 +0000
Self spotting is an interesting topic, but maybe the tip of an iceberg. I do
receive a number of QSL's from both listeners and from 160M operators for QSO's
I simply have not had, not called or heard. I showed Wayne N7NG, a couple of
corkers that came through last season from supposed QSO's on 160 that didn't
take place at recent DXCC card checking. Some of these are from notorious
calls. Yes, some of these would have accelerated my long awaited DXCC for 160M
that I received last year, but no thanks. Interestingly, the best ones are say,
20/15M QSO's that took place and a conveniently placed 160M QSO tucked in
below it. So is this an old tradition or something new. I don't know. I always
try to think this was a genuine action on behalf of the remote station but
.....?
     I do use the ON4KST chat room from time to time which is a great addition
to the toolbox and also helps to get to know other ops, cuts out cluster qrm
and saves writing to other interested parties by snail mail, but must be used
responsibly and with respect. A contact is a contact and you know if you made
it or not.
    It was through this medium I made my first sked with w.coast station N6FF
who I was delighted to meet along with many other 160M ops at the Visalia
Topbanders Dinner in April- Great.
    In the end though, it is sitting there with the volume at nearly full, no
filters, beverages aimed at the deserving and making a few great QSO's after
waiting for days/nights. This week has been particularly good with a flurry of
mid west and west coasters at my sunrise. An adrenalin injection before going
to work!
    Take care all, see you on 160M. Let the season begin....
    73
    Bob
    GU4YOX
    KG6WLP/E