Re: Topband: Top Ten Reasons for Self-Spotting on Top Band

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Top Ten Reasons for Self-Spotting on Top Band
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:31:16 -0800
> And the number one reason for Self-Spotting on Top Band...
>
> 1. Vanity mirror in ham shack broken throwing tools in rage over
> missing Christmas Island in pile-up. Nowhere else left to primp.

This certainly is an emotional topic for some.  I imagine other people don't
see what the fuss is about.

For my own operations, I have gotten into the habit of haivng the comptuer
own when I am working on top band.  Some of you might not even know that
there is a top band chat page on the web

http://www.on4kst.info/chathf/start.php.  This has actually enabled me to
work a few countries that I probably would never have a chance of working
otherwise.

The extent that you use these instead of actual radio communication is
something everyone decides for themselves.

That issue aside - I see some great benefits to using these tools.  A lot
of people think that part of the reason the band sound dead sometimes is
because nobody is on.  With this tool, I can quickly get someone in Europe
to call CQ on a specific frequency and see if I can "see" them.  Using the
program Spectran, I can see signals that my ears can't detect.  This gives
me some idea if there is any propagation at all into Europe, or if this is
going to be one of those nights where I am totally shut out.

This single feature along makes it worth dealing with.

Again, for my personal use, I feel this enhances my 160 experience.  It
probably isn't everyone's cup of tea - but having it available does
enhance my ability to pick off stations during an opening.  Having many
different people around the world listening to the band and posting what
they hear connects you to the 160 meter experience better than just
listening to your headphones.

Note that having this help is exactly why when you enter a contest as a
single-op should place you in a different category as a unassisted
single-op.  The value of the help totally distorts the competition.

As far as self spotting - there are times this would make sense.  If I am
up at sunrise - when often the band sounds totally dead to me - it is
possible that my signal is making it to Europe.  I am not loud enough
for people to notice my signal right away, and my opening might be
short (in time).  In this case, a self spot would seem to be useful.

However, with the chat room, I can ask someone in Europe to listen for
me, and if they hear me, then they can spot me.  :-)

Certinaly, this ain't how we DX'd in the old days.  Back then, you had to
network with some friends who would ring your phone if there was an opening.
My call even showed up in VK0IR's log even though I was at work because
someone was being helpful.  (No - I do not have a QSL).  At least these
tools are available to anyone who wants to use them (if they have an internet
connection that doesn't get blown away when they transmit).

DXing on 160 will still be a special thing.  If you just wanted to make it
as easy as possible, you would be up on 40 or 30 meters.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net