Re: Topband: cluster-QSOs Y or N ?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: cluster-QSOs Y or N ?
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:29:15 +0000
DF2PY posted:

>according to cluster observations, the number of so-called cluster QSOs is
>increasing. I just copied the folowing from todays spots:
>
>WA7xxx-@ 1832.3 SM5xxx     ur 439 in WA, calling u         0532 11 Nov
>reply :
>SM5xxx 1800.0 WA7xxx          ok hrd u in noise..                  0533 11
>Nov
>
>i am not commenting here.

I think maybe Wolf is making a comment by simply posting it.  ;^)

What do others think?  160m is a tough band at times.  Seems
that non-radio-means assistance is all the rage nowadays - with
whole bunch of shortwave newbies either kicking off by spotting
themselves or spotting who they just worked (very obvious when
followed by string of spots by others of the station that just
spotted itself).

This sort of non-radio-means assistance to establishing or
completing QSOs is something that I used to see a lot of on
VHF.  So, if 6m is a tough band at times & this behavior has
gone on for so long, who are OFs like myself or (maybe - correct
me if I'm wrong Wolf) DF2PY to question it being done on the
lower bands - or the relative refuge of 160m where wavelength,
propagation & other factors plus obvious reason to use mode
like CW means it still is relatively free of it?

Seems sad to me when probable-non-newbies start doing things
like newbies.  Next we will stop asking if the frequency is in
use before CQing & other things that our newbies here tell me
is acceptable international practice now.

73, VR2BrettGraham