Re: Topband: Experiences with inverted L

To: <ersmar@comcast.net>, <K9SQG@aol.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Experiences with inverted L
From: "Ragnar Otterstad" <otterstad@enter.vg>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 00:51:03 +0200
> I just joined the reflector and wonder if anybody could share their
> experiences with inverted L antennas, something along the lines of what a
35-40
> ft
> vertical section and 90-100 ft horizontal section might perform like with
say
> 16-25 radials, about 100 ft long, buried.  This is the antenna I'm
planning to
> erect, if it is worthwhile.  Modeling efforts of others indicate it has
some
> potential, not a barn-burner, but at least it would get me back on the
band
> after  a 35 year gap.  But with very limited time, I'd rather not put up
an antenna
> that will perform poorly for stateside contacts, hi.
> > 73s,
> Evan

Evan, as always - the proof of the pudding is in the eating !

At my Copenhagen QTH as OZ8RO I used the  W1BB - inverted L, with about 25
meters vertical section
into the tallest tree around and the remaining some 29 meters hanging
sloping into a tree. At the feedpoint I had a 300pF capacitor in series
and adjusted the length for lowest SWR. With some 20 plus radials of various
lengths I managed to work virtually everything I heard, including VK0IR,
9M0C and other goodies.

Try it !

73

" RAG "  Ragnar Otterstad   LA5HE JW5HE OZ8RO

My photo website:
http://no.photos.yahoo.com/la5he

Located in Telemark - Home of skiing.
For more information about Telemark take a look at :
www.visittelemark.com     for more details.