RE: Topband: 160m noise

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: 160m noise
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:01:39 -0600
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:07:08 -0500, Jeff Maass wrote:

>It looks like several more turns than three are required
>for use on 1.8 MHz to get >800 ohms with #43 material cores.
>What number of turns have you used and measured?

I've measured up to 10 turns, and used up to 14 turns. In research for an
EMC paper  published by the Audio Engineering Society, I wound 14
turns of a mic cable around the #43 toroid to reduce the shield current
on a 125 ft long mic cable set up about 1/2 mile away from WGN (50
kW on 720 kHz).  Without the choke, there was massive interference to
most of the equipment that I tested. With the choke the interference was
either gone or drastically reduced in level.

An important comment on impedance measurements of these chokes.
In general, we want to use resistance, NOT inductance in chokes
designed for EMI suppression, because we want to dissipate the RF,
and because we don't want the X of the choke (either capacitive or
inductive) to resonate with the length of the cable and increase the
current rather than reduce it.

I've used both the MFJ-259B and the AEA CIA-HF to measure these
chokes. Neither device could be considered a serious bridge, but the
CIA-HF can measure Z up to 1K ohms, both can measure the phase
angle, but neither can tell you the sign of the phase angle, and I would
describe the accuracy of both instruments as a first approximation of the
actual R and X.  Obviously, if I had better test gear I would use it. :) But I
learned long ago that one can accomplish quite a lot with less than
perfect tools if you are both careful and disciplined.